Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Living Word

We are walking weird streets this
Wednesday, with sporadic shuffling
feet. We are lurching forward one minute
and holding back the next in a beat
characteristic of those who have tripped
terribly, scraped knees and want to dream,
secretly, again. I've never been to Taft
I tell you and you start pointing at things,
cardboard houses and kids, their jutted ribs,
college kids rushing to pristine buildings,
a pantomime guide letting your fingers speak,
ramble on until you mutter That's why. All I
understand is you make the third world
pretty. The gutter muck is sparkling, the dark
sea waving. We are toeing the edge as Jesus
walks on water trailed by lovers holding
hands. Our feet are dry and cracking
but we still smell the brine, however
faint, in our breaths, sometimes, how we
choke. We are catching our breaths,
sitting on some sidewalk. You are telling
me how you two broke up. I am remembering
how quiet it felt on the train on the way
here, only the insistent, rusty clanking
heart. You are asking if I believe in God.
On weekends, we teach kids the living
word and help build houses, you are saying,
if you want you can join us. It would be fun.
C'mon...I am remembering Neitzsche.
God is dead and I was there at the funeral,
looking up from the pulpit and madly
laughing until teachers dragged me away.
I was eleven. He would die on me again
and again: through Marx, the masses, friends,
workplaces, my ex, like two days from now,
on Good Friday. I believe there is no
greater pain, I am telling you. Yeah, those
children not knowing faith, you are shaking
your head, bead after bead of your sweat
flying and landing on my face, thighs and I
feel blessed, you are rising from the pavement,
face set against the debris of the fallen
city and I know He has risen, once again.
We are walking back to the station. Street
vendors are shouting wildly, bracing
themselves for when everyone flees
for beaches, the calm, hungry weekend.
Somewhere, a boy is bowing his head
to a customer. You are looking around
as if straining to hear a sudden secret
prayer.

8 comments:

Corinthe said...

the imagery takes me places.. hehe, i find this poem very interesting. ayus toh!

Unknown said...

Too complicated to answer for a man with a simple mind...I may learn from you...

let us walk the path of the grey
where the light and the dark mix
in the layer where there is no judgment
only the truth that would answer one's questions
about life, the ONE being and of the order of self
but there is no teacher
at the hall without boundaries
merely scholars who gain understanding
attending to intelligence, wisdom and emotion
not just to exist
not just pawns of the masses
but ones who understand
vast potential of an open mind

kash said...

thanks, cor. :) looking forward to Lasingang Lunes. ;P

kash said...

kyle, we met on Friday the 13th in a happy li'l accident with cor on the wheel.

looking forward to a real 'conference' with you. :)

robert d said...

Your first two pieces here are exceptional, perhaps I should just say good, because with some envy I suspect that in time you will get even better. I should be careful here though not to encourage these peek a boo clouds in a perfect sky. Meanderings are good but do not require the same effort as something with more focus and purpose. There is an angst, a sadness in your offerings, and this make me sad, because life is so wonderful.

Enjoy and share the wonder,

d

Unknown said...

Kash,
Oh, i didn't realize it was Friday the 13th when we met... Hahaha...

I wouldn't really call it an accident kash... I asked Cor to invite you to the conference...

I'm looking forward to meeting you personally and to that real "Conference"... I am sure it would be really interesting...

Robert,
Life is composed of both sadness and joy for there must be a balance for a life to be meaningful... Perhaps the writer has experienced great pain and maybe that is why she writes in this fashion...

kash said...

had fun talking to you, kyle the caffeine shot. until tomorrow.

:)

kash said...

thanks, robert. i've never felt this appreciated, since only friends praise my work and, i suspect, only because they're wonderful people.

i agree about meandering. am actually trying to find a balance between purpose and accident. perhaps a bit more control.

looking at your photos, i have to agree. life is beautiful. your photographs surely are :)